Monday, August 23, 2010

Khairoon Abbas - Tanzania

Algonquin Program: Graduate Certificate in Scriptwriting
Year of graduation: 2006

1. How did you first hear about Algonquin College (and your program of studies)?

I lived in Ottawa since 2002, and had known about Algonquin College while I was studying at Carleton University. I also had a friend at Algonquin and through her, I realized how practical the programs were. I learnt about Scriptwriting through the college website. I liked what I read, I contacted the coordinator and shortly thereafter I was accepted into the program within a matter of days!

2. How would you describe your experience at Algonquin College? Did your program (including professors, classmates, facilities, resources) meet your expectations? – Please explain.

I had the time of my life and Algonquin. The professors were always helpful; they responded to emails on time, met with students whenever help was needed. I really enjoyed my time there. The program more than exceeded my expectations. The assignments were really helpful in preparing me for the market, and it was really enjoyable. Most of all, the program allowed me to see where my passion lies, and that is in journalism.After my program at Algonquin, I landed my dream job as a writer/journalist for Algonquin College's Small World Big Picture Expedition Africa project, and I know I only got that job because of my training at Algonquin! I was also the recipient of the School of Media and Design's Dean's Award and that was the highlight of my time at Algonquin College!

3. What are you doing today? Are you working, studying or looking for employment? How did your studies at Algonquin contribute to your life today?

I am currently working with the United Nations Environment Programme's Regional Office for North America in Washington D.C., United States, as a Communications Consultant. I have been working here since May 2009, and my contract ends in February 2010. I do a lot of communications work, writing, outreach and so forth. My studies in Algonquin contribute to my life today because at Algonquin, I learnt how to write for different audiences in different formats (i.e. broadcast vs. non-broadcast); At Algonquin, I learnt about how to write for websites, and how to write for theatre audiences. It is this experience that allowed me to know how to write.

4. How can the Algonquin International Student Centre continue to support you in the achievement of your personal goals?

In many ways: first, by inviting Alumni to the College on a regular basis to unite with other International Students, or perhaps by linking up alumni who are around the world. This way we can connect and help each other grow professionally and personally. I think alumni can really act as mentors to each other...you can even link up international alumni to current students or prospective students - this way, not only do alumni get to share their love for their alma mater, but also, they get to help others. I think it also allows us, as alumni, to feel like we are making a difference, and that Algonquin College is part of our lives continuously.

No comments:

Post a Comment